March 6, 2011

How I Made My First Picture Book...

How did I create my high-seas adventure?  Well, first I started with some scribbly-dibbly thumbnails to try and figure out what I wanted to see on the pages...






Then I started designing all the characters I would want to see in a nautical-themed book. This was really fun for me!  Many of the designs were based on these sketches.  Here are some early designs for The Sea of Bath...










One of my favorite characters, (who unfortunately didn't make it into the book)...




As designs were being finished, I started a "dummy" or rough version of the book to show my publisher.

My first sketches were, again... scribbly-dibblies, mostly for my benefit, with usually just enough information on the page for me to see where I wanted to place my characters...






Then I set off on creating the actual rough or "dummy" version of the book for my editor and art director...








With some feedback from my publisher, I arrived at these final layouts...


 






Here are some more before-and-after examples...











The Sea of Bath Copyright 2010 Bob Logan & Sourcebooks Inc.

7 comments:

Annie said...

Thanks for sharing! It's always fun to see process (though I don't think it's the most fun to do) Too bad about the sponge, it looks like he was saturated with character ;) This book looks wonderful!

Bob Logan said...

Ha!

Yeah, I couldn't get the sponge to fit in any of the compositions. It does make me want to do a book about a bath sponge who just sits there and does nothing.

Thank you for your comment, Annie!

Bob

Anonymous said...

AMAZING and INSPIRING!!!! -as always...(this bubble is from Darren by the way.)

Bob Logan said...

Ha!

Yes! Thanks, Darren!

Amir Al-Zubi said...

-B-

Bob, you are genius!!!

Amir

Bob Logan said...

Wow!

Thank you for those words, Amir!
And you are so... right! (kidding)

But thank you!

-b!

waksel said...

Personally I found the part about the sponge absorbing...