December 28, 2010

New Year, New Sketchbook...

"Country Bear Gin-bor-ee"
Pencil & marker, 12 x 24"

I realize it's not the new year yet, but I'm really excited about a recent discovery, "CinemaScopic Sketchbooks"!  Strathmore has these super-wide sketchbooks available.  Okay, I don't know the exact ratio or how long they've been available, but they're really great!

I love to draw, but often hit that wall commonly known as the I-hate-everything-I-draw-phase. So, I'm going to mix it up a bit.

I usually draw digitally (with Adobe Illustrator), but lately I've been missing the grit and smudge of paper.  I also miss getting high on markers. This sketchbook was a timely discovery.

I've been enjoying blocking in solid, basic shapes with marker, then using a Prismacolor pencil to play with various line and shape textures.  When I start drawing, I have no idea what I'll end up with (hence the drunken bear).

I'm really excited about this format for sketching.  I think I will explore random elements for a while.  You know, get the rust out.

It may even get weird.  Who knows?

1 comment:

Jason Lethcoe said...

A truly terrific sketch! Excellent work as always, old friend!